Jan 18, 2024

Waking in Winter

 Waking in the early morning - 7 am. Room as dark as the underside of a beached whale. Silence in every corner of the room. But outside there is a rustling akin to a moth's fluttering wings as snowflakes drift aimlessly from the vault of sky to find rest on roof or bedroom deck. I pull up the fluffy down comforter and turn on my side. Time for a pleasant, dreamy post sleep nap. . . .No! I turn back on my back, driven by guilt at my sloth, my indolence. I move various extremities in a rhythmic pattern: ankles 30 rotations in each direction. Move hips up and down forty-five times each. Neck rotations for a minute or so. Shrug my shoulders for as long as it takes me to find the intent to get out of bed. Thus do I prove to myself that I am still in control of my motor functions. And yet another day evolves into a vague sense of reality.

No comments: