Sep 14, 2018

It Got My Attention

It got my attention

In case you haven’t noticed I am not a religious person, spiritual yes, and a staunch believer in the power of the individual, but not a believer in supernatural beings, unless accepted as such. As a result I often, without malice, and with a certain amount of amiableness, invoke the names of a variety of the thousands of Gods mankind has created, in a less than positive manner. So, what happened this morning reminded of an episode from The Adventures of Superman (aired in the 1950’s). Perry White was the editor of The Daily Planet, the newspaper Clark Kent and Lois Lane worked for. Well, it seems Perry was quite fond of saying “Great Caesars Ghost’ in moments of trial or tribulation. Eventually Caesar [they never specified which one] grew tired of Mr. White invoking his name in such a manner, and so often, and paid the newspaper editor a visit, with the usual expected consequences.

This morning, on my way to grub out a Darlow’s Enigma rose and an errant Trumpet Vine, I realized I had forgotten my large mattock and unconsciously said something like “Kiss the Buttocks of Thor”, and shook my paw at the sky. As I turned to fetch the missing tool I was suddenly struck dumb by noise and light and fell to the ground. I know not how long I lay on the grass but when I managed to open my eyes I found this tremendous lightning bolt firmly implanted in the ground next to me. It had fortunately missed the Corylus Avellana contorta, [Harry Lauder’s Walking Stick], but I swear I smelled brimstone and the ‘lightning bolt’ was hot.

In the future I shall direct my blasphemies, and shake my ragged fist against Rong Yaoling, a Chinese God of Thunder. or perhaps Gao Hui, the Chinese Thunder King, or, better yet, the North American Thunderbird. Or is this perhaps a talon from the mythic bird?


No comments: