Jan 24, 2014

The Fire Next Time


The Fire Next Time

A recent, gentle voice from the beyond was apparently all the motivation I needed to convince myself it's time to light the raku kiln and fire four plaques I have had perched on top of the propane heating stove for half a year. At least they should be dry by now. With my limited experience and resources the results of any firing I attempt (no two the same) is problematic. I cringe when I tally the many times I have slowly raised the temperature in the kiln trying to avoid cracking, slumping, or other damage only to hear a muffled (or sharp) explosion as the piece or pieces thundered into a miriad shards. But, time is wasting, so the next time daytime temperatures rise above freezing there will be a warm yellow-orange glow emanating from the covered lean-to next to the garden shed, either that or another series of disappointing sounds, like that of four hands clapping.

No comments: