The Non-electric Non-kool-aid Gibberellic Acid Test of 2012
Last spring I used gibberelic acid, hereafter referred to as GA-3, as an aid to seed germination, for the first time. Though my notes were a far cry from what I had originally intended I did manage to jot down a few observations and have subsequently taken an oath on a very tall stack of Horticultural books to do a better job of record keeping this year.
In 2013, all information I can think of pertaining to each pot/pan of seed sown is being carefully entered into the 'Big" book of 'Seeds and Seedlings'. In addition, I have created a numbered file card for each initial planting. Sub cards, using one or more suffixes for each viable seedling propagated, are made when individual seedlings are 'pricked out' into their own containers or are otherwise modified. But already, with only a dozen or so packets of seed planted I find errors in my record keeping. In a few weeks I will begin planting dozens, if not hundreds, of different seeds representing dozens and dozens, if not hundreds, of different species and I only hope I can manage to keep all data current.
As to the results of my GA-3 experiments from last year, I had varying results. Solution strength was 500ppm and seed was generally soaked for 18 - 24 hours. Control portions were soaked in distilled water for the same length of time. Germination medium, heat and light etc. were as identical for each pot of seeds of the same type as I could manage.
Seeds which seemed to exhibit a positive response to GA-3 were:
Aquilegia caerulea v. Ochroleuca (Columbine)
Edrianthus serpyllifolius v. major
Meconopsis cambrica (Welsh Poppy)
Seeds which seemed unaffected by GA-3 were:
Petunia, Blue Daddy
Seeds which seemed to be adversely affected by GA-3 were:
Layia elegans (these germinated in a few days with or without GA-3)
And this year, if I can remember, or steal the time, there may be pictures for comparison. If only Whinkla was here.